Sunday, September 19, 2010

Kathmandu Restaurant






Kathmandu Restaurant
110 North Jefferson Street
Nederland.

Andrew gives Kathmandu 4.5 chews out of 5.


$9 all-you-can-eat-buffet? what more can you ask for after hiking (or not), especially if it's nepalese/indian food?! EAT HERE!!!

That is all I really have to say, so I will conclude this with the following:

(note: This is a completely satirical article that is meant to mimic The Onion newspaper. While some parts of the story are real, none of the "facts" or quotations presented in the article are intended, or proven to be true.)
__________________________________
This is a tribute to The Onion.


Nepalese restaurant owner mistakes the the Rocky Mountains for the Himalayas.
by Andrew

It was 20 years ago when Rasham Gurung, owner of the family-owned Kathmandu Restaurant in Nederland CO, got on a plane to escape the annoying tourists who flooded her Himalayan town.  She was looking for a town that better represented her heritage.  Gurung said she "was sick of hearing about all of the American's who would come and eat at my restaurant before dying on our mountains. They were ruining our culture!"  It was that very mentality that led her to board a plane, and get out of "that sherpa shit hole."  It was a real surprise to Gurung when her plane ride lasted nearly 14 hours.  "I was worried at first because I couldn't see the Himalayas out of the window, but then I was more worried when I got off the plane, and I was at a mysterious unnamed airport in Nederland, Colorado," says Gurung about the incident.  She admits that even though she was nervous and sobbing, the mistake was one of the best of her life.  "I only realized how much hikers love all-you-can-eat-buffets once I got to Colorado.  People are always active, so I thought they would need a lot of food."  Gurung was right, even the most cutting-edge scientific research shows that hiking makes people hungry.  Nutritionist Rachel Goldsmith explains that "hiking is a physical activity, which has a caloric cost related to it.  People need food to replenish that cost."  

Harvey Kalther, a regular at Kathmandu, says "it was so good I could barely finish my sixth plate." Harvey currently hikes 23 miles everyday so he can practice taking advantage of this "eighth wonder of the world."

After Gurung confirmed her thought by reading Goldsmith's explanation—which she found using Google—she knew she could only do one thing:  "This is when I started making the only food I knew how, and people just loved it," she says.

At first when Gurung's family heard about the airlines mistake, they were indifferent. However, after Gurung informed them of her success, they decided to immediately join her.  "I just had to get a piece of that shit," is the way Gurung's fourth cousin, Yangani, put it.  This is how the success transformed into a warm family restaurant. Although Yangani says that "it was almost like the restaurant started the family."

"I thought it was funny," says Gurung, "American's caused this accident, then they helped me solve it."  Gurung then incidentally mentioned, "I hope America can do something like this with all their other problems."
_________________

1 comment:

  1. "I could barely finish my sixth plate."

    I love this. I sent your blog link to my mom (really) and she said "that 'asshole' guy is really funny."

    ReplyDelete

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online